Caphs is a long established cafe, restaurant and bar located in the heart of Manuka in the ACT.
The Caphs building was re-constructed in 1926 and is now a heritage listed building. It is the only building in Canberra of this period still trading as a restaurant. The building was bought by the Notaras brothers, John and Theo in 1926 and was named Liberty Cafe.
In 1973 after various changes in ownership, John Stefano and Partners named the restaurant Caphs, representing the initials of each of the business partner’s first names; Chris, Anthony, Philip, Helen and Steve.
In 1990, Caphs was sold to Theo and Ismini Notaras who owned and managed Caphs for 16 years. It was their hard work and enthusiasm which made Caphs the well established and successful business that it is today. Their son Manuel and his wife Belinda now run Caphs, with a number of loyal and hard working kitchen and floor staff.